The American College of Sofia maintains very high behavioral and academic expectations of our students. We do our best to provide support systems to help our students meet these expectations and to get the most out of their experience at the College.
The ACS Honor Code
The American College of Sofia learning community consists of teachers, students, administration, staff, and parents. We believe that learning is a cooperative process that involves active participation of all these members. Above all, we value the pursuit of excellence in academics and citizenship. To achieve this excellence, all members of our community must dedicate themselves to the following values:
· RESPONSIBILITY: each member is accountable for his/her actions
· INTEGRITY: each member is guided by honesty and truth in his/her actions
· RESPECT: each member treats all others with consideration
Members of the American College of Sofia learning community are to consider themselves ambassadors of the College’s values of responsibility, integrity, and respect while at school as well as outside the College.
All students must abide by the rules of the College which are outlined in the Student Handbook. These rules fall under four general categories:
· ATTENDANCE: We believe that it is essential for students to be in class and expect all students to make every effort to attend classes. We monitor students’ attendance very closely. Students who are absent from class must follow absence protocols in order for their absences to be excused. Any student who fails to follow absence protocols or exceeds the attendance limits in a given semester may be placed on Attendance Probation.
· ACADEMIC HONESTY: We expect that all students will be responsible for their own academic work and that all work students submit or complete in class is their own. Students must understand the difference between helping other students and cheating. They also must understand what constitutes plagiarism. Students who are in violation of the school’s academic honesty rules may be placed on Academic Honesty Probation. · BEHAVIOR: We expect that all ACS students will abide by the behavioral rules of the College. Tobacco, alcohol, drugs, and weapons are strictly prohibited on campus. Moreover, we expect students to respect each other and the adults in the ACS community. Students who violate the school’s behavior rules may be placed on Behavior Probation.
· ACADEMICS: We expect all students to apply themselves to their academic work, both in school and at home. We also expect students who are struggling to seek help from their teachers during consultation periods or office hours. Students who do not maintain an overall Grade Point Average of 4.5 may be placed on Academic Probation.Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee
Students who are in violation of any of the school’s rules or expectations may be asked to appear before the Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee. The Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee is composed of six teachers elected by the ACS faculty and the three senior administrators of the school: President, Deputy Director, and Dean of Students. In addition, one non-voting student observer is present at the Committee meetings. Parents of students who appear before the Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee may also attend these meetings.
The Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee renders all probation decisions at the American College. If students who are on probation fail to meet the terms of their probation, the Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee may decide to dismiss these students from the College. Decisions of the Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee may be appealed.