This notice describes how the American College of Sofia, a profiled high school, established by the Decision of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria # 440 / 26.10.1992, with address Sofia, Mladost 2, Floyd Black Lane ("The College"), as a Personal Data Controller, processes the personal data of applicants for the International student program (“The Applicant”).
Types of Processed Personal Data
International students are admitted on a rolling basis (year-round) according to space availability and the college’s acceptance of prior official high school records indicating achievement at a level which corresponds to that required of all students at the college.
The college collects and processes personal data relating to applicants as follows:
The college collects and processes personal data relating to applicants’ parents/guardians as follows: full name, phone number, e-mail address, current residency.
The college collects and processes the above data on the basis of voluntarily submitted documents and information in the course of application and the admission procedures.
- Student’s full name, EGN or SS#, date of birth, permanent address, mailing address, telephone #, student e-mail address, languages spoken;
Recent photo, 3,5 сm. х 4,5 сm.;
- Citizenship(s) and verification of citizenship;
- Copy of official transcripts for the last 2 years;
- Desired transfer date;
- Educational history: name of last school, how long attended, address of school, most recent complete grade, special learning needs or recent Individualized Education Programs.
Purposes of Processing Personal Data
The information we require is needed for the successful application process of the applicant and for administering an entrance exam for admission in the International student program.
Please do not provide us with any information other than the above.
Legal Basis for The Processing
The College processes your personal data under item 1. above based on your informed and freely expressed consent, which you express unambiguously, both through the clicking on the “I Agree” button at the end of this notice and the voluntarily submission of the documents and information described above.
In addition, the college processes your personal data also with a view to taking steps to conclude an education contract with the applicant - in accordance with Art. 6, para. 1 item (b), 2nd proposal of the Regulation (EC) 2016/679.
Access To and Provision of Data
Personal data that applicants and their parents/guardians submit in the course of application and admission to the International student program will be available to the staff members in Registrar’s office and the Business office, Director of Admissions, the International Student Coordinator, IT office, Deputy Director and the President of the college in its sufficient minimum and to the extent that are necessary to carry out their employment functions and duties.
Please note that after the entrance exam the tests and essays containing your personal data will be collected and stored in the American College of Sofia. They will not be a subject to provide or return to the applicants for any reason.
Personal information may be disclosed to state authorities and law enforcement authorities as required by law.
Storage of Data
If the applicant is not admitted, the college will store your personal data for 5 (five) years along with the data of the enrolled students. The purpose of storage is verification of the entrance exam results in case of an inspection by the state authorities and/ by the Board of Trustees. After 5 (five) years are completed your personal data will be destroyed within a period of one month. Your personal data may be stored for a longer period of time if it becomes necessary for the establishment, the exercise or the protection of any legal claims or administrative proceedings against the college. Personal data collected under the current notification will be stored in an internally-hosted database in Bulgaria.
Security of The Data
The college shall maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures for protection against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access to personal data.
The college provides the necessary level of security corresponding to the risks arising from the processing taking into account the achievements of technical progress, the cost of implementation and the nature, scope, context and purpose of the processing as well as the risk for you. These measures are aimed at ensuring the continuous integrity and privacy of personal data. The college regularly evaluates these measures to ensure processing security.
You have the following rights in respect of your personal data processed by the college that you can exercise by submitting a written request to the college:
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, you should contact the college at:
- Right of access and right to receive a copy of your personal data;
- Right to correct your personal data if inaccurate;
- Right to delete or destroy your personal data (the so-called "right to be forgotten") - when it is no longer necessary for the purposes of which it was collected or if it was, for example, unlawfully handled as long as the college is not legally obliged to store them;
- Right to restrict processing - when you dispute the accuracy of your personal data for a period that allows us to investigate your complaint as well as in other cases provided by an applicable law;
- Right of portability – to take your personal data you have provided to us and which are processed in an automated manner, in a structured, widely used and machine readable format, or ask the college to transfer your personal data to another Controller when the transfer is technically feasible;
- Withdrawal of consent - at any time you can withdraw your consent for processing of your personal data or part of it, which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out before withdrawal of consent. If you withdraw your consent, you will prevent application and participation in the admission process for the International students program.
Sofia, Mladost 2, Floyd Black Ally, email address: email@example.com
Tel: (02) 434 10 08; 434 10 10; 434 10 11
You can also contact the college's Data Protection Officer, Hristina Dakova at:
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Tel: Reception of the ACS: (02) 434 10 08; 434 10 10; 434 10 11; Extension 433
You have the right to appeal to the supervisory body, the Commission for Personal Data Protection.
Voluntary Provision of Your Personal Data
The provision of your personal data is entirely voluntary. Failure to provide your personal information will prevent application and participation in the admission process for the International students program.
By voluntarily submitting your personal data under the current notification, you:
- unambiguously express your informed and free consent to the processing of the personal data under the terms and conditions described in this notification;
- certify that you have read and understand this notification and accept the terms and conditions described therein according to which the College will process your personal data;
certify that the information provided by you in the application documents is true, complete and accurate and that the documents are true copies of the originals.
For additional information please click
Do you agree for the college to process your personal data listed above in the manner described in this notice?